Sunday, March 18, 2007

Training Plan

I finally got around to putting together a formal training plan. It's based on Jack Daniels' Running Formula and tweaked for my own particular needs. For example, since I plan to run only four days per week, I'll be skipping most of the easy runs. Unfortunately this means that most of my runs will be 'quality' (i.e., HARD) workouts. Gulp!

You may notice that there is no Phase 1 in the plan. That's because I've been doing base training (i.e., nothing but easy miles) since the start of the year. I did start adding 20-second strides at around 5k pace to my runs the last couple of weeks, in order to start adapting to the faster running I'll be doing this week.

Here is the key to the types of workouts:

  • E: Easy, comfortable running
  • L: Long run
  • S: Strides, 20- to 30-second runs at comfortably-fast pace using light, quick turnover
  • T: Tempo runs, done at lactate threshold pace
  • I: Intervals (VO2Max development)
  • R: Repetitions (speed & economy development)
  • Mix: A mix of intervals at T, I, and R paces.

I will discuss pacing and the concept of VDOT in another post.

The trip to Moab this weekend was fantastic. I did a couple of classic mountain bike rides -- Porcupine Rim and Amasa Back. Here's a photo, even though this is not running related.

No comments: