Friday, March 30, 2007

Should I throw out my training plan?

Since I feel like I'm kind of flying solo here, I wanted to get some feedback on my training plan. Is it realistic? Does it have enough easy running? Are the long runs long enough? Is it true to Daniels' philosophies of running? I was looking for a basic sanity check.

So I posted a link to my training plan on the CoolRunning.com forum asking for critiques. I got a few responses, but this one kind of shook me up.

I would change everything.

You ran 40:39 2 yrs ago on 15 miles per week. You are a very good runner.

Just doubling your mileage to 30 miles/week will create a load.

I would change to 13 on Sunday, 5 on Tuesday, 7 on Wednesday, and 5 on Friday.

Drop the intervals/repetitions for now.

Add 1 or 2 miles extra per week. Add it to your long run. When you reach 16, stay at 16, and re-direct the extra mile to your wednesday and friday. Never on Tuesday.

Tuesday should be reserved for hill repeats. 5 miles of it. Hill repeats. Slow and powerful up the hill. It's not a sprint, its not an anaerobic workout. Work the kick, straight leg push, ankles, high knees, arm swings. etc... Note: introduce hill repeats 7 weeks out.

5 weeks out, introduce aerobic Intervals (3:51 per 1000m) x 6 with 1 min. rest on fridays. Also do a few anaerobic intervals (meaning mile pace). Do a few short 400-meter intervals with a 400m jogging recovery. Make sure you continue on afterward to cover your remaining miles.

Every 4th week cut your mileage in two. No intervals, no hills. That is designated as your recovery week. This is where the super compensation takes place.

On Tuesdays, you can alternate between hills one week and a nice 85-90% vo2max run the next. Never go past 5 miles.

Now If I had your best 1-mile time right now or a 5k time, I could attach paces with each day of the week.

Well, this wasn't quite what I was expecting. I was thinking in terms of a tweak here or there, not "change everything!"

The newly-proposed plan actually looked solid, and the poster seemed to know what he was talking about. One thing that was missing was an actual critique of my plan, the very thing I had requested. If I was going to throw out my plan and use this one, I would need to be convinced of two things. First, I wanted to know how this plan was superior to mine. And second, I wanted a few details about the poster's credentials.

Arthur LydiardIn the end, I didn't really get a response to either question. I did find out that the new plan was based on Arthur Lydiard's teachings. Lydiard was a legendary running coach. Far be it from me to question him! But then again, I based my plan on a book by another legendary running coach, Jack Daniels.

So it looks like it comes down to Lydiard vs. Daniels. Since I've read Daniels and haven't read Lydiard, I'm sticking with what I've got for now.

Today's Run

I ran 6 miles today, with three sessions of 2 minutes, 1 minute, and 30 seconds hard. Rests were 1 minute, 30 seconds, and 30 seconds, respectively. This is basically a repeat of last Saturday's run in the rain, but today I did one fewer session. I'm just slightly concerned about doing too much hard running.

Still, I felt pretty good. On my bike ride to work this morning, my legs felt amazingly good. That's not saying too much, because my morning commute is extremely easy, but it's something, at least.

No comments: