Thursday, March 15, 2007

First Post

What does it take to run a 40-minute 10k? I don't know, but I hope to find out over the next 10 weeks.

To me, there has always been something about that arbitrary 40-minute time barrier that I can't explain. Maybe it's because I've never considered myself a true runner, and somehow I think breaking 40 minutes in a 10k would finally give me the badge I need to join their 'secret club'. Maybe it's because I live in Boulder, Colorado, where even great athletes are humbled daily by the elites, not to mention average joes like myself. Maybe it's because I've gotten close to this goal, but never succeeded.

A quick Google search revealed that I'm not alone. This thread on CoolRunning.com has the topic, "Sub 40 minute 10k by the end of 2006." It spans 16 pages and stayed alive for ten months. It seems that breaking 40 minutes in the 10k is a goal for quite a few recreational runners. Maybe I'm going a bit far to call it the Holy Grail of Recreational Running. Or maybe not.

Armed with a copy of Daniels' Running Formula, the bible of running according to some, I am setting out to develop and follow a 10-week training plan, leading up to the Bolder Boulder 10k race on Memorial Day, 2007.

Will I reach my goal? I don't know. But I do plan to have fun along the way!

No comments: