Saturday, March 24, 2007

Rain and Mud

Overcast, rainy, and cold does not usually describe Boulder weather, but it did today. The first thunderstorm of the year blew in yesterday afternoon, dropping a huge dose of rain and lightning bolts in the first hour. In its wake, the storm left a miserable low-pressure system that continued throughout today.

But the run must go on! The training plan called for 6 miles today, including some "unstructured intervals". This meant the following workout:

4 x (2 minutes hard with 1 minute rest, 1 minute hard with 30 seconds rest, and 30 seconds hard with 30 seconds rest)

After a leisurely morning, I finally got dressed to go. It was 40 degrees and raining steadily. Although I feared it would be a mistake to venture off the pavement today, I headed out to the trails of Boulder Valley Ranch for a 6-mile loop.

As I suspected, it was a mudfest. The intervals were tough, mostly because trying to get any speed was futile -- my feet simply slipped instead of gaining any traction. After 55 minutes, I finished, soaked to the skin but no worse for the wear.

Weekly run summary:

Sunday - off
Monday - 10 miles easy, with 6 x 100 strides
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - 7 miles, with reps: 3 x (2 x 200 at 42 seconds + 1 x 400 at 86 seconds)
Thursday - 7 miles, with threshold intervals: 3 x 1600 at 6:40
Friday - off
Saturday - 6 miles, with unstructured intervals: 4 x (2:00 + 1:00 + 0:30 hard)
Total - 30 miles

Tomorrow I'm going for a bike ride, but if I can get motivated, I'll try and get in a 10-mile run beforehand. With a little luck, the weather will improve.

No comments: