Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Repetitions

Today I completed my first repetition workout at the track. Daniels describes repetition (R, or rep) training as repeated sessions of fast running that last 2 minutes or less. Recovery times are relatively long, to allow each rep to be run just as fast as the initial one. The idea behind rep workouts is to develop good mechanics and efficiency (i.e., economy) at faster speeds, and to develop anaerobic (not aerobic) metabolism.

I pulled today's workout straight from Chapter 13 of Daniels' Running Formula.

R-1: Sets of 2x200 + 1x400 at R-pace, up to 5% of week's mileage.

First I determined how many of these reps to do. Since I'm currently running 30 miles per week, 5% of this week's mileage is 1.5 miles, about 2400 meters. Since each "set" as described above is 800m, I just needed to do three sets of 2x200 plus 1x400.

Next, I needed to figure out my R-pace. Normally this is a simple task. Just look up a recent race time in Daniels' VDOT Table, then use the corresponding R-pace from the Training Intensities Table.

However, I don't have a recent race time. My last 10k race was at the Bolder Boulder at the end of May last year, where I ran a disappointing 43:46. That corresponds to a VDOT of 47. However, I was recovering from my first marathon at the time, and had stomach issues as well. In 2005 I ran a PR of 40:39, which corresponds to a VDOT of 51.

In the end, I decided to use a VDOT of 50-51 to determine today's Repetition Pace. That meant 200s should be run at 42-43 seconds, and 400s at 86-87 seconds. I had no idea whether this would be easy, difficult, or impossible. That should give you an idea of how little time I've spent at the track!

After 2.5 miles of warmup running, I lined up at the Boulder High School track and started my first rep way too fast. I ran the first 100 in 17 seconds (it should have been 21). I slowed down and hit 200 on 40 seconds. After that, my pacing improved, and I hit all the rest of my reps either right on pace, or a second or two fast.

Frankly, I was relieved to complete the workout successfully, considering I was just guessing about my appropriate VDOT value. The reps felt fast, but pretty controlled. Only one of them felt hard -- the last 400, where I finished into a stiff headwind and came in at 87 seconds.

Now I'm waiting to see how my legs feel tomorrow!

No comments: