Monday, April 30, 2007

Four weeks to go!

Exactly four weeks from today, I'll run my 6th Bolder Boulder 10k race. I started this blog to track my progress over the ten weeks leading up to the race.

How am I doing?

I think I'm doing pretty well, but I certainly don't feel assured of reaching my goal of sub-40. To feel confident, I would need some concrete evidence that indicated I could do it. For example, a 5k time of 19:17 would show that I'm on track for a sub-40 10k, according to the VDOT table. Unfortunately I still haven't run anything close to that. My most recent 5k result was 21:08, albeit under difficult conditions.

I'm signed up for tomorrow night's Dash & Dine 5k again. Last week's race was cancelled due to weather, and thunderstorms are again in the forecast tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

If conditions are good, I hope to run 20:30 or faster tomorrow night. That would match my best time on this course, from 2004. According to the race calculators, 20:30 would predict around a 42:45 10k time. However, I've always beaten those projections based on my 5k times. I think the D&D course is significantly slow.

I plan to run the final two Dash & Dine races on May 8 and 15 as well. If I can get my time down below 20 minutes on that course, I think I have a real shot at a sub-40 Bolder Boulder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just discovered your blog yesterday, and I enjoyed reading it. Good luck with your training, keep going, and stay positive.

I thought I might just be able to do a sub 40 10K this year but I've had no luck. I ran a 19:59 5K a few weeks ago and at the weekend I did 43:49 for a 10K - pretty good but I have a long way to go to get to a sub 40.

Your goal is very difficult but keep up the hard work and you might do it - if you do I'll be jealous !!!

Dakota Ridgerunner said...

Thanks, anon. You broke 20 for the 5k, which I still haven't done! You'll get there.